The secret to comfortable, stylish summer fashion is loose-fitting, breathable material that doesn’t look sloppy or ill-fitting. Linen, lightweight cotton, or a blend that is mostly cotton are the best fabrics to look for in summer clothes. Here are some summer pieces that will help anyone stay cool and comfortable.
Basic Summer Layers
- A loose-fitting cardigan that doesn’t cling to the skin is a great summer layer for chilly mornings or evenings. Look for one in a light, neutral color like white, cream, or gray, in a classic fabric such as a cotton-linen blend.
- Floaty sleeveless tops are easy to wear on their own or as part of a layered summer look. Look for items in chiffon or a linen-cotton blend. These tops, plain or patterned, offer a more pulled-together look but are comfortable and non-constricting.
- Basic tank tops provide a great first layer for chilly early mornings or late nights. Choose solid neutral colors for layering under cardigans or t-shirts, or a bright pattern for pairing with a skirt.
- A casual button-down top is great with skirts or shorts for easy summer style. Roll up the sleeves to above the elbow for classic camp shirt style and pair with shorts and wedge sandals for a fresh, casual look.
Basic Summer Pants and Skirts
- Sundresses are the epitome of carefree summer style. Try an empire-waist style for especially hot days, since more fitted styles can cause chafing.
- Shorts are a versatile summer fashion piece, and can be found in a variety of lengths, colors, and materials. Wear Bermuda shorts for an office picnic, and choose a pair with a 7′ or 5′ inseam for a day out shopping with friends or for yard work.
- To stay cool on the beach or by the campfire, try a pair of light linen pants. Linen is a fabric that keeps the wearer cool and travels well, so it’s a good option for vacation packing.
- A-line skirts are a great dress alternative, and can be worn for casual or more formal events. Choose a skirt with a thicker, higher waistband and tuck in a tank top or casual summery top for the ultimate boardwalk strolling outfit. For a lawn party or picnic, pick a patterned boatneck tee or a short-sleeved button-down top.
A sophisticated sunhat in white or light brown straw will prevent damaging rays when outdoors in the summertime.
Building a summer wardrobe is easy with a few key pieces. The above fashion basics can lay the foundation for versatile and adaptable summer outfits.