The stereotypical diaphanous maternity dresses of old can be replaced with those that allow a woman to show off her baby bump in stylish pieces which gently skim over her expanding belly.
Stylish Dress Suggestions for Pregnant Women
- Empire-line dresses and wrapover styles are fashionable as well as forgiving and add definition to a body rather than envelop it. The flowing maxi dress is the dress of the season for Summer 2010, with most styles offering plenty of fabric to cope with a baby on board!
- Dresses with fitted tops falling into an A-line or swing shaped skirt or those that draping from below the bustline will provide both style and comfort. Alternatively try dresses with drop-waistlines which gather under the stomach.
- Shapeless tank dresses can be given some style by wrapping a sash or ribbon just below the bustline and above the baby bump.
- Avoid dresses with large prints. According to Trinny and Susannah, What You Wear Can Change Your Life (Weidenfeld & Nicholson 2004) a pregnant stomach enveloped in a small print has its size diffused. Single-color blocks (especially in dark hues) are more slimming to the silhouette than prints and add a touch of elegance.
- Sarongs are a life saver during the summer as they can be tied in different ways as casual around-the house dresses for maximum comfort.
- When it comes to workwear keeping shapes simple and slim rather than wear voluminous floaty dresses. Dresses which skim the figure such as a tailored shift dress can be covered with a fitted cardigan or a single buttoned jacket which fastens below the waistline.
- Tunic dresses can be work over pants or maternity jeans but look for a cut which defines the body shape by gentle skimming the figure and showing off those expanding curves rather than trying to hide them under a mountain of material.
- As breasts grow larger this is a chance to flaunt cleavage (but not too much) with lower scoop necklines of V-necks. High necklines and crew necks will look off kilter in proportion to the new body shape. Remember this maternity fashion tip when choosing dresses.
- During the warmer months lightweight natural fabrics such as cotton or silk will keep the body cooler and more comfortable than synthetics as they let the body breathe.
- Strapless cocktail dresses with swing skirts look cute on pregnant women. A Grecian gown with plenty of draping will also look elegant.
Accessorize dresses with statement jewelry. This will attract attention away from a bulging belly. Oversized scarves are a fashionable way of drawing the eyes upwards as well as camouflaging a baby bump.