Making caramel apples with candy bars is a good way to use up any candy you have. This is a simple recipe that tastes like you bought them from a gourmet shop. You will need the following:
• 5 large Granny Smith apples
• wooden craft sticks
• 1 (14 ounce) package individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
• 2 tablespoons water
• 7 ounces candy bar, broken into pieces
• 2 tablespoons shortening, divided
• 1 cup colored candy coating melts
Process to cook
1. Wash and dry the apples and insert the sticks in them. Chill.
2. Place the caramels in a microwave safe dish with 2 tablespoons of water and microwave until caramels are melted.
3. Dip the apples into the hot caramel, then place on cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
4. Roll the apple into your chopped up candy bar, then place in the refrigerator to set.
5. Melt the candy coating and then drizzle on top of the apple.
Monster Caramel Apples
Caramel apples are a great fall treat. Did you know that you can customize the apples to have different flavors though? How about trying a monster caramel apple? You will need the following to make a batch:
• 8 to 10 medium apples
• 8 to 10 wooden sticks
• 32 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, coarsely chopped
• 1 cup butter, cubed
• 2 cups packed brown sugar
• 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
• 1 cup light corn syrup
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 8 squares (1 ounce each) white candy coating, coarsely chopped
• 1/2 cup orange and brown sprinkles
Process to cook
1. Wash and dry your apples and then insert a stick into each one. Chill.
2. Combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until it reaches the hard ball stage, then remove from heat and stir in vanilla. This will take about 30 to 40 minutes.
3. Dip each apple into the hot caramel, then roll in the crushed cookie crumbs.
4. Place apples back on cookie sheet.
5. Melt the candy coating and drizzle over the apples. Sprinkle with sprinkles.