A large number of golf courses on the Costa del Sol have been designed with all abilities in mind, some by top experts such as Seve Ballesteros, Gary Player or Robert Trent Jones. Links or parklands, the wide variety of landscapes allows players to test their skills and practise different techniques, whether they are beginners or experienced golfers. Courses are open year round and may offer luxury accommodation on site and other sporting facilities.
Activity is mostly centred in the Golf Valley of Marbella and Mijas with a scattering of courses near Malaga and clusters in Estepona and Sotogrande. Antequera is a fair distance from the coast but framed by the El Torcal Nature Park, it’s in a wonderful location and offers a pratice course and challenging 18-hole circuit.
Golf Valley, Marbella and Mijas, Beginners and Experienced Golfers
- La Dama de Noche is located in Marbella and close to the glamorous marina of Puerto Banus. This course welcomes players of all levels. It is fully illuminated at night, the first of its kind in Europe.
- Guadalmina is a short drive west of Marbella in San Pedro de Alcantara. There are two courses, Norte and Sur. Joining requires nomination by two members.
- Alhoa is a narrow course with varied vegetation, fairways mostly uphill and some tricky water hazards which promise an interesting game. It’s situated in Nueva Andalucia, 13 km from Marbella.
- The Mijas Golf Club has a choice of two courses while Alhaurin claims an impressive 45-hole complex.
World Class Golf on the Costa del Sol, Malaga Fairways
- The Parador Malaga Golf is the oldest course on the coast, founded in 1925 by the Spanish royal family. Covering both links and parklands, it’s a challenging championship venue.
- Equally demanding is El Candado which hosts the Iberian Cup and other tournaments. The uneven terrain and greens are testing but there may be some light relief provided by the parakeets gathering in the trees.
- Guadalhorce holds numerous championships while golf aside, Lauro is popular for its scenic views and Club House set in an old Andalusian farm.
Estepona and Sotogrande, Top Golf Destinations
- Estepona boasts several golf courses, among them El Paraiso where professional tuition is available for beginners and experienced golfers.
- Los Flamingos is recommended for low handicap players while the Estepona Golf Course claims unspoilt countryside and the longest golf hole in Spain, known as the ski run.
- On the western fringes of the Costa del Sol, the luxurious holiday complex of Sotogrande is regarded by many as the ultimate golf Mecca, offering some of the best courses in Europe, including the world famous Valderrama.
- Golfers visiting Spain’s Costa del Sol will find a variety of courses, for beginners to experts.